AGENCIES, New Delhi: Citing health reasons, octogenarian ex-PM Manmohan Singh has said that he will not attend the official banquet hosted by President Ram Nath Kovind in honour of US President Donald Trump on February 25.
Singh and several other leaded had earlier accepted the invite but expressed his inability to attend the same on Monday.
As courtesy, Singh has conveyed his inability to the President’s office for not being able to attend the banquet.
Political watchers say the opposition Congress is upset at the Modi government’s decision to break the tradition of allowing its top leaders a meeting with the visiting US president, as has been the tradition.
Following Manmohan Singh’s decision in this respect, Congress leader in Lok Sabha Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury and Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha Ghulam Nabi Azad are also skipping the President’s banquet. They are said to be doing this as a protest over the party’s top leaders not being extended an invitation.
Singh had earlier accepted the invite but expressed his inability to attend the same on Monday.