BH CORRESPONDENT, New Delhi: Five more people in Kerala and one person tested positive for coronavirus in Tamil Nadu, taking the number of infected in India to 40.
The five people family from Kerala, including three who had returned from Italy last month, have tested positive for coronavirus, the state’s health minister K K Shailaja said on Sunday. The patient in Tamil Nadu is the second person to be infected with coronavirus in the state had visited Oman, the state health minister C Vijayabaskar had said Saturday.
The number of infected people in the country has now risen to 40 out of which 16 are Italian tourists who have quarantined in Delhi.
All five who are from the same family, are now in isolation wards in Pathnamthitta. Officials said the three of them had returned to Kochi from Italy via Doha. The condition of all five is said to be stable. Two are below 30 years of age and three between 50 to 60 yrs.
Kerala health minister Shailaja said the three persons failed to inform health officials of their return from Italy and warned people of action for failing to report themselves after returning from a foreign trip. The test results came in Saturday evening, she said.
“It is a serious irresponsible behaviour on their part. People who hide their travel history will be dealt with sternly,” she added.
Meanwhile, Delhi chief minister Arvind Kejriwal held a press conference and said that the capital has three positive cases and one suspected case of coronavirus. The first patient came in contact with 105 people, the second patient came in contact with 168 people and the third patient came in contact with 64 people. And all these people have been quarantined and their samples taken.
Kejriwal said Delhi is fully prepared to deal with COVID-19 and also asked the citizens not to panic. “We are fully prepared to deal with coronavirus. There’s no need to panic,” he said.
Meanwhile, PM Narendra Modi has directed officials to identify locations for sufficient quarantine facilities, and make provisions for critical care in case the disease spreads further.
After two new cases were suspected of coronavirus on Saturday, all primary schools in Jammu and Samba districts have been shut down.
In Assam, at least 127 people came in contact with two US tourists who left for Bhutan from the northeast state and tested positive for the virus. Assam Health Minister Pijush Hazarika said they have identified a resort in Jorhat where the US tourists stayed.
At a meeting with all ministries and departments concerned, the PM said that people should be advised to avoid mass gatherings as much as possible and made aware of the do’s and don’ts. While complimenting all departments for the work done so far, the Prime Minister stressed that as the coronavirus scenario evolves, India has to be prepared in its response.