AGENCIES, Beijing: The number of people in China to have died from the new coronavirus outbreak jumped to 1,113 on Wednesday, after another 97 deaths were reported by the national health commission.
In its daily update, Hubei’s health commission also confirmed another 1,638 new cases in the central province, where the outbreak emerged in December. There are now more than 44,200 confirmed cases across China, based on previously released figures from the government.
The virus was officially named ‘COVID-19’ at a conference in Geneva held by the World Health Organization, where the body’s chief said countries had a chance of stopping its global spread.
WHO head Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Tuesday that although 99 per cent of cases are in China, where it remains “very much an emergency”, it also “holds a very grave threat for the rest of the world”.