AGENCIES, Cannes: Though rumours had earlier surfaced that the Cannes Film Festival might be canned due to the coronavirus outbreak, it seems to have gathered some steam.
The festival’s president Pierre Lescure said that there is a possibility of its cancellation if the situation worsens, but as of now, it still has the green signal. It is scheduled to take place from May 12 – 23.
Speaking to French publication Le Figaro, Lescure said, “We remain reasonably optimistic in the hope that the peak of the epidemic will be reached at the end of March and that we will breathe a little better in April. But we are not oblivious. If not, we will cancel.”
The official Twitter handle of the festival announced that “As of today, the 73rd Festival de Cannes will take place” after the news of probable cancellation broke.
— Festival de Cannes (@Festival_Cannes) March 11, 2020
The festival attracts thousands of movie lovers and hence will run afoul of the French government’s decision of banning more than 1,000 people at a single gathering to contain the spread of the disease.