AGENCIES, New Delhi: The Union Health Ministry on Friday confirmed 81 positive cases of coronavirus in India, out of which 64 are Indian citizens, 16 Italians and 1 Canadian national. The ministry also reiterated that there is no epidemic of the novel coronavirus in the country and advised people to focus on hand hygiene, respiratory hygiene and social distancing.
A 76-year-old man from Karnataka’s Kalaburgi district passed away on March 10 night, was tested positive for COVID-19. Following his death, the district has been put on high alert. On Friday night, however, a 69-year-old woman from Delhi died due to coronavirus, thus becoming the second death linked to the deadly COVID-19 in the country. Hailing from Delhi’s Janakpuri, the elderly is survived by a son, who is admitted at a hospital due to coronavirus. Her son has a travel history to Italy and Switzerland.
“Till now, there are 81 confirmed cases in India, out of which 64 are Indians, 16 Italians and 1 Canadian national. All passengers returning to India should report their travel itinerary to the authorities and everyone should remember to wear a mask before stepping out to see a doctor,” Lav Agarwal, Joint Secretary, Health Ministry, told reporters at a press briefing. However, the country has reported two deaths on Friday, with one being in Karnataka and another in Delhi.
Of these confirmed cases, 64 cases are of Indian nationals, 16 Italian nationals and 1 Canadian national. Contact tracing of these cases is being actively pursued. So far, this has led to identification of more than 4000 contacts who have been put under surveillance. pic.twitter.com/TiMbe4umKC
— Ministry of Health (@MoHFW_INDIA) March 13, 2020
To check the spread of coronavirus, the Indian government has decided to inspect international traffic through land immigration checkposts. “We have 37 such checkposts, and we have allowed traffic through 19 of them to India. Cross-border buses and trains from Bangladesh will remain suspended till further notice. However, Bhutanese and Nepalese citizens will have visa-free entries to India,” a health ministry official said.