BH CORRESPONDENT, New Delhi: Three more people have tested positive for coronavirus in India taking the total number of cases to 34, the government said on Saturday as Prime Minister Narendra Modi held a review meeting with officials to discuss the outbreak.
Modi has directed officials to identify locations for sufficient quarantine facilities, and make provisions for critical care in case the disease spreads further.
Across the world there have been more than 1 lakh cases recorded in 94 countries and territories with 3,515 deaths, according to news agency AFP.
Of the three new cases, two are from Ladakh with travel history to Iran and one is from Tamil Nadu with travel history to Oman. All the patients are stable, the government said.
Two more people who came from Italy are suspected to have the infection in Punjab’s Hoshiarpur, news agency ANI reported quoting doctors at the Guru Nanak Dev Hospital here in Amritsar. “Their final report is yet to come from the National Institute of Virology in Pune,” a doctor said.
All primary schools in Jammu and Samba districts have been shut down after two people were suspected to be infected by the highly contagious coronavirus.
In Assam, at least 127 people came in contact with two US tourists who left for Bhutan from the northeast state and tested positive for the virus. Assam Health Minister Pijush Hazarika said they have identified a resort in Jorhat where the US tourists stayed.
At a meeting with all ministries and departments concerned, the PM said that people should be advised to avoid mass gatherings as much as possible and made aware of the do’s and don’ts. While complimenting all departments for the work done so far, the Prime Minister stressed that as the coronavirus scenario evolves, India has to be prepared in its response.